Monday, January 21, 2013

January 20th deathmarch ski

My big Ski days are on a Sunday. They generally go for around 3 hours, sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. This particular day was around the 3-3.5hr mark. The weather was perfect but the conditions were brutal. It had snowed for a few days previous, but with the warm weather, we ended up with a bit of rain before it froze again, leaving the snow with two inch crust. Not enough for us to stay on top of the snow, and because of that, we were breaking trail by breaking the crust. We had very little grip and turning on the descents was nearly impossible. Grip - for most of us, there was just enough, but for me, on new skis that were not broken in, I had almost none. At one point while crossing a lake, the wind was actually pushing me backwards a bit. Very frustrating as I had no glide, no push. On any climb, even the smallest, I had to herring bone them. I hate herring bone. The trails are narrow and my skis are on the long side. The tips would constantly get hooked on the crust or on the scrub that was bent over and partially buried. The downhills were insane. My skis were fast, like I was skiing on ball bearings. And with no control. We all crashed at some point and my most impressive ones were on the descent at the end of the day. The death march was so fast, the track to ski in was so narrow, and the faster I went, the smaller the trail became. My vision of the track became increasingly smaller and smaller which was the instigator in my first crash. I clipped the side of the trail with all that crust and it sent me "over the bars" at full speed. Got up and continued on my way only for it to happen again. Same thing. My patience was tested. My workout was intense because of this. Instead of skiing with a bit of aggression, I had to tip toe and use delicate strides in order to get any grip. My climbs had no grace and at times I felt I was hiking, not skiing. I had a complete workout, literally from head to toe. My arms did a lot of work, as did my hips and core. That's what hurts today. I might do a small weight session today with low weights, just to start that part of my training. I will let my body dictate this later in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment